 Robotics / Handy Board / 5798
Re: Vision on the Handy Board?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics.handyboard
Date:
Wed, 10 Mar 1999 09:04:49 GMT

Excuse me what is it a CAN controller ?

Stefano

----------
From: Thomas Hauri <har@zhwin.ch>
To: Bill Denzel <wdenzel@polymail.cpunix.calpoly.edu>
Cc: Handyboard@Media. Mit. Edu <handyboard@media.mit.edu>
Subject: Re: Vision on the Handy Board?
Date: 10 March 1999 09:29

Hi Bill

we are using a NewtonLabs cognachrome system on one of our model cars.
The car is equiped with a Handyboard, a cognachrom system, a camera, and • a
couple of RS232 to CAN converters.
Our Handyboard has a CAN controller attached to it for faster • communication.
The problem we are having now is that the Handyboard seems to be too slow • to
handle the data from the cognachrome system although it's only being • transmitted
at 9.6kbps.
This model car then tries to follow a certain object trained to the • system. But
as mentioned above the control algorithm or system seems to be kind of • slow.
We are right now working on the algorithems to make the system faster.
The cognachrome system is some nice piece of equipment. It just needs a • serial
port on the Handyboard that has a speed of a minimum of 9.6k.

Attaching a camera directly to the handyboard (using some sort of • framegrabber)
would ask too much of the 6811 I think althoough I have never tried it. • Maybe
some basic object recognition might work depending on the resolution of • the
picture. Maybe some 20x20 or similar picture could be analyzed within a • useful
of time. But I think IC code is much too slow for that kind of business. • Some
compiled C or assembler might do the job.

Mybe someone else knows more.........Let me know.

cu Tom

Bill Denzel wrote:

Has anyone tried to connect some sort of a camera to the HB?  Would I • be
asking too much of the 6811 processor to do some simple pattern • recognition?
I was just curious to what extent I could push my board to.  Thanks for • any
info!

Bill Denzel

Senior Mechatronics Student
California Polytechnic State University