 Robotics / Handy Board / 5797
Re: Vision on the Handy Board?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics.handyboard
Date:
Wed, 10 Mar 1999 08:29:48 GMT

Hi Bill

we are using a NewtonLabs cognachrome system on one of our model cars.
The car is equiped with a Handyboard, a cognachrom system, a camera, and a
couple of RS232 to CAN converters.
Our Handyboard has a CAN controller attached to it for faster communication.
The problem we are having now is that the Handyboard seems to be too slow to
handle the data from the cognachrome system although it's only being transmitted
at 9.6kbps.
This model car then tries to follow a certain object trained to the system. But
as mentioned above the control algorithm or system seems to be kind of slow.
We are right now working on the algorithems to make the system faster.
The cognachrome system is some nice piece of equipment. It just needs a serial
port on the Handyboard that has a speed of a minimum of 9.6k.

Attaching a camera directly to the handyboard (using some sort of framegrabber)
would ask too much of the 6811 I think althoough I have never tried it. Maybe
some basic object recognition might work depending on the resolution of the
picture. Maybe some 20x20 or similar picture could be analyzed within a useful
of time. But I think IC code is much too slow for that kind of business. Some
compiled C or assembler might do the job.

Mybe someone else knows more.........Let me know.

cu Tom

Bill Denzel wrote:

Has anyone tried to connect some sort of a camera to the HB?  Would I be
asking too much of the 6811 processor to do some simple pattern recognition?
I was just curious to what extent I could push my board to.  Thanks for any
info!

Bill Denzel

Senior Mechatronics Student
California Polytechnic State University