 Robotics / Handy Board / 5704
RE: Polaroid sonar problems
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics.handyboard
Date:
Tue, 2 Mar 1999 01:18:26 GMT

I also found that my neon light in my magnifying lens lamp caused erroneous
readings.  When I turned it off or moved it away the readings normalized
(gave the correct results).  Shielding wasn't effective in this instance.

I did completely away with the ribbon cable supplied with the sonar kit.  I
installed 9-pin D connectors at each end and ran shielded 4 pair cable
between the HB and the sonar board.

I provided a separate power supply for the sonar system (4 - 1.2 volt
cadmium) and located it close to the actual sonar.  Thus eliminating the
high current pulse and resultant magnetic field through the 4 pair cable.

Hope this helps.

Ted Mylenbusch
amylen@worldnet.att.net

-----Original Message-----
From: Guy & Gad Berg [mailto:gberg@netvision.net.il]
Sent: Monday, March 01, 1999 4:16 AM
To: handyboard@media.mit.edu
Subject: Polaroid sonar problems

hi!

Our group is still struggling with the polaroid sonar. We can't get any
coherent reading, only readings that are in the range 470-515, which
aren't effected by the measured distance.
We have the capacitor and resistor installed as required.
We tried using a 150ms delay (instead of 50) and we average our
readings, we tried taking every tenth reading and displaying it, but
nothing seems to work.
We know there are people out there who have succeeded! PLEASE, tell us
what you did.
Thanks.
    Guy.