 Robotics / Handy Board / 5653
5652  |  5654
Subject:
How to measure the signal Voltage ?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics.handyboard
Date:
Wed, 24 Feb 1999 16:12:46 GMT

Hi Everybody,
I am using the retroreflective sensor to an object . The sensor is came
from Masushita NAIS brand name. It has 3 wires . ONe for the +ve supply ,
one for the -ve supply, one for the output signal line. The sensor is using
a NPN type. The voltage is 12V and current is not more than 320 mA
operation.  This sensor casn be tune in its distance according to the need.

Question :
1) The signal line will plug into the handyboard on the digital or analog
port. However, the port can only support 5V. If the sensor is operate at
12V, is there any HARM  to plug the signal line into the port ?  If YES,
how should I prevent it?

2) How should I take measuremnt on the signal line using Multimeter to
measure the output voltage before enter into the digital or analog port ?

3) Please enlighten me how to differentiate the differences between NPN and
PNP type? Is there any significant ot use either one of them ?

4) Since the digital  or analog ports support only 5V operation , can it
support a 12V sensor to comply to the HD?

rgds,
phillip