 Robotics / Handy Board / 5579
RE: Linx technologies RF modem
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics.handyboard
Date:
Sat, 20 Feb 1999 08:34:57 GMT

Dave,

I'm looking seriously at the Linx HP eval kit. Please let me
know how yours works out, and any tips on installation to the
handy board would be greatly appreciated. Also, what if I
wanted to put HP RX/TX on two robots plus host computer, I
wonder how this might work? The HPs have eight binary
selectable channels, but switching sounds like a hassle.
Presumably some protocol could be written so they could all
talk on the same channel, a multidrop system where each
node has a unique ID and they only transmit one at a time.
The protocol could queue requests and prevent collisions.
Anybody have such a beastie? BTW I find it odd that Linx
doesn't sell integrated transceivers, just separate TX and
RX modules. You'd think many applications would want both.

Doug

PS. I have a patriot scientific PSC1000 eval board here,
    it's a 100Mhz RISC CPU for <$10 in volume that has
    low power consumption, can address 4GB of memory and
    can run Java natively, also C and FORTH. I think the
    PSC1000 would make an excellent robotic platform.
    Check out the data sheet of this kit:

    http://www.ptsc.com/downloads/psc1000/evalcard/Docs/evaldes.html

    Another eval kit is on the way soon that is an NC
    (network computer) test platform, it with have
    ethernet onboard, VGA outputs, all of the standard
    things you'd need for an NC. This will make the
    networking code a lot simpler and more powerful,
    plus pass-by-value objects eventually. Things that
    make you go hmmmm ... especially considering this:

    http://www.dalsemi.com/News_Center/Press_Releases/1999/prjini.html

    Using these on module actuators/sensors would allow
    them to join the onboard network automatically and
    federate to remote hosts. The PSC1000 could be the
    main controller. I hope to prototype this. But I'm
    not really a hardware guy ... definitely need some
    help on circuit design.

Dave wrote:

I managed to speak with one of Linx's applications engineers- He said that a
couple of the guys over there are using the Linx modules to communicate with
HC11's, so interfacing the kit with the handyboard shouldn't be much of a
problem. He said I can have my faulty receiver module replaced free of • charge.
The new HP series modules, by the way, are the same price as the old ones.