 Robotics / Handy Board / 5561
Re: IR Sensors
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics.handyboard
Date:
Fri, 19 Feb 1999 02:30:37 GMT

Hi everyone,

I've hooked up the QRB1114 infrared sensors to the analog input ports.
Although they appear to be operating, their values make little sense.
Whether a black or white object is placed in front of the sensor, the
Handyboard reads in a low value.  This number slowly returns to 255 as the

object is pulled further away from the sensor.  Makes for a great proximity

sensor, but not exactly what I desired.  Any suggestions????   I have it
hooked up as shown in the HandyBoard manual, 330 ohm resistor and all.

Many optically black materials do not at all affect the IR range of the
spectrum.
It is possible that your black object is not black (read "absorbant") to IR
and simply reflects it just like the white. Try several different materials.
Many may even be IR transparent and allow objects behind them to reflect and
trigger the IR sensor but at a distance you weren't expecting.

Mike