 Robotics / Handy Board / 5543
RE: Sonar and RF Modem questions
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics.handyboard
Date:
Wed, 17 Feb 1999 23:21:03 GMT

Maybe a vender could get an eval kit, work through the interfacing issues • and
kit it for us to buy! That would probably stay within Lynx' licensing • agreement
and still provide a cost effective solution.

Mike

That would be cool.  I was looking very closely at the RM and HP series
because a few months ago we were investigating data acquisition by
telemetry.  That project is presently on a back burner, but we may still do
it later in the spring.  Linx's main issue with selling their stuff is that
they need a solid reputation with the FCC for their package RF solutions
sold to OEM's.  They have lots of literature with titles like "Surviving FCC
Part 15 Compliance Testing."  So...they like to know what you're doing and
to hold your hand a lot.  They *don't* like the idea of a bunch of Linx
modules out there in unknown applications being tweaked about by
experimenters.

However; a pre-qualified kit...

Incidentally, note that the Linx eval kits include *two* complete Tx-Rx
pairs with antennas plus boards, power, and documentation, so the prices are
really not out of line.

Brett Anthony
Equipment Technician
College of Engineering and Computer Science
California State University, Sacramento

Postal Mail:  Brett Anthony
              CSUS, E&CS
              6000 J St.