 Robotics / Handy Board / 5500
Re: Expansion board & V2X & sonar
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics.handyboard
Date:
Mon, 15 Feb 1999 16:44:16 GMT

re: exp bd SPI pins:

* 2 of the pins are used by the sonar and aren't separately
available.
* the other 2 SPI pins are at PCB holes J20 and J21.

see the schem for details:

  http://el.www.media.mit.edu/projects/handy-board/hbexp30/expsch30.gif

if you need all 4 spi pins for something, leave out the j11 sonar
connector and tap the signals from there.

fred

In your message you said:

the SPI port D is tied up by the compass, I was wondering if directly
connecting the digital output-pins of the expansion board can be used to
trigger the sonar pulse and set the BINH.

I am the guy who wrote the V2X code that is on the HB web site.  I
just got an expansion board, and am looking into v2X and sonar on the
exp board right now.

                                              Will the triggering or
blanking use more than the allowed 5 mA per output? Will the timing be accur • ate?
Instead of poking (0x1008, 0x20) like in sonar.c could I just use
set_digital_out(x) to start the ping (and turn on BINH
in the same way)?? Would it be enough to just resolder the INIT and BINH
lines to the digital output ports of the expansion board or would I need
further modifications?

I cannot find where there are pins for the SPI port on the expansion
board.  Yup, the breadboard area would work, and I have thought of
that.

The SPI port is maybe overkill, so I am thinking that I'll just have
like a timed process that, say every 500msec (configurable), it takes
a heading.  Then with the extra output pins, I'll be able to disable
the compass, and send calibration signals, and resets.  I think it'll
be better.  If anyone else is working on v2x, I'd love to hear about it.