 Robotics / Handy Board / 5489
Re: Stepper Motor
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics.handyboard
Date:
Sun, 14 Feb 1999 19:16:28 GMT

At 16:56 14/02/99 +0100, you wrote:
Hi,

I have a question. Can i use stepper motors to drive my robot platform ?
Do i need a gear ?
I'd like to use stepper motors instead of normal ones, because I would
not need any shaft encoders.
And I think stepper motors do not cause so much noise like normal
motors.
If someone have a idea where (old floppys,etc.) to rip out good (12V/1A)
stepper motors, please mail me.

You can get some from old printers or scanners but I think they are rated
for 24V

Does someone use stepper motors to drive a robot ?
Are there any arguments against using stepper motors to drive ?

For Eurobot 97 ,some robots were using stepper motors. On Internet, there
was also a guy who explained how to build a robot from a floppy drive.
As far as I know, you can't vary the speed too fast. You have to create a
kind of ramp function to slowly increase it otherwise your motor may stall
and you will loose count.

Thank You in advance.

Simon