 Robotics / Handy Board / 5488
Re: Stepper Motor
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics.handyboard
Date:
Sun, 14 Feb 1999 18:02:52 GMT

I am also trying to use steppers motors from an old floppy, if anyone has
accompished this I am interested in your result and methods

Keith

At 03:33 PM 2/14/99 +0000, you wrote:
Hi!

I have a question. Can i use stepper motors to drive my robot platform ?

I don't have any experience in robots, but I've mounted a positioning
system for a current transformer tap selector using the HandyBoard.

Do i need a gear ?

Stepper motors are generally strong and can keep the stopped position very
well.

I'd like to use stepper motors instead of normal ones, because I would
not need any shaft encoders.
And I think stepper motors do not cause so much noise like normal
motors.
If someone have a idea where (old floppys,etc.) to rip out good (12V/1A)
stepper motors, please mail me.

You will find good 1.8 degree stepper motors in old 5 1/4 drives, generally
they are about 160 mA x 12 V. Other source of very good stepper motors are
old printers, I've found some incredibly strong ones.

Does someone use stepper motors to drive a robot ?
Are there any arguments against using stepper motors to drive ?

Simon, please keep me in touch of your progress, I'd like to mount my first
mobile robot and I have lots of stepper motors right here... We can swap
HandyBoard code too.

Best regards,
Cesar