 Robotics / Handy Board / 5469
Re: Robot base
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics.handyboard
Date:
Fri, 12 Feb 1999 19:01:21 GMT

Hi er...um...whoever you are,

Here's my profile and feedback:

Me: 30's database programmer with a little electronics kit construction
experience.
Interests: Learning Robotics Hardware, Software and Theories
Goals:  To first experiment and learn a little more each month.
Then to build a home autonomous vehicle, then an underwater ROV (teathered,
then untethered).

I've just started (6-8 months ago) learning and experimenting on weekends
(mostly reading)
but haven't been able to build my own base yet.  I have recently realized that
it is hampering
my education so after looking around I just ordered a round base from Zagros
robotics.
<http://www.zagrosrobotics.com>
I finally realized that my time is worth much more than the $$$ that it cost
and it looks great!
I actually got to see one in action and I can't wait to start mounting my own
components
on it.

I chose the Round base after reading the Robotics: Inspiration to
Implementation book because
I like the idea of it being able to turn around in it's own space.  However,
the square models looked
best to fit a notebook computer on top of.  (Yeah, at 30's I still end
sentences with prepositions
sometimes. ;)

Now that I've made the $ committment, I really don't mind paying for a decent
base.
And, I wouldn't mind paying more next time for one like you've mentioned with
a turret!
However, since this is a hobby, I can't imagine paying more than $300 for any
base,
and it would have to be pretty darn special for that price.  I paid much less
than that for
my Zagros base. $300-$350 is my psychological price barrier.  And, I would
have to save
about 6 months for something like that and would probably agonize over the
decision for
about a month.

Some of the attributes that that would convince me to purchase another base:
1) A turrett.
2) An arm and gripper option (One that can hold a beer/soda can!)
3) A Track design instead of wheels.
4) One which would hold about 200 lbs of equipment.
5) One with add on modules (one being a vacuum cleaner to make my wife happy!
;)

Any one of these items would give your product enough of a "WOW" factor for
me to look at seriously.

QF: I don't care what it is made of. (Plastic, aluminum, wood, fiberglass)
Size: Big enough to hold a laptop computer.
An extra deck is a necessity.

<< here is some of the info I'm looking for:

base geometry: circular or rectangular/ single or double decker.
base dimensions:  9", 10" or 12" or larger
drive train configuration: differential steering or combined drive and
steering or front wheel drive rear wheel steering.
drive wheel diameter: 2.75", 3" or 3.25" or larger
base material: plastic, aluminum or fiberglass (PCB material)
accessories: turret, extra deck>>