 Robotics / Handy Board / 5468
5467  |  5469
Subject:
NVRAM for the HB
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics.handyboard
Date:
Fri, 12 Feb 1999 14:49:21 GMT

  Hello all,

    A while ago someone was looking for NVRAM for the HB. I wanted to tell
everyone about a new Simtek NVRAM chip I found that isn't battery backed
SRAM like the Dallas chips. It contains an EEPROM 'shadow' of the SRAM and
transfers the contents of the SRAM to the EEPROM on power down. On power
up, it retrieves them. You can also put this process under software
control, although it requires a different version of the chip. The one that
looks like it will work with the HB is the STK15C88-W45. I like the fact
that there isn't a battery involved, and the package is much smaller than
the Dallas chips (DS1230) the height of which may be a problem on the
Handyboard, especially with the expansion board mounted. I've ordered a
couple of these, and would be interested in knowing if anyone has used
NVRAM (of any type) with the HB. If you're interested check:

http://www.simtek.com/simtek/docs/SimtekCrossRef.htm

be good, Duncan