 Robotics / Handy Board / 5463
Re: IR remote problem
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics.handyboard
Date:
Fri, 12 Feb 1999 02:49:12 GMT

Keith Hearn wrote:

I picked up a surplus remote control at Halted Specialties
  (http://www.halted.com/) and am trying to use Max Davies' IRINT.ICB,
  IR.C and TEST.C, and I'm not having any luck.

I'm seeing two main problems.

1) Some keys give 35 bits of data, and some give 38 bits.

I have seen this occasionally.  As long as it's consistent for each key, I
think the best bet is to just assume the data size is the larger of the two
with trailing 0's for the shorter one.  I can't promise this works though,
as I've only had a single hands-on example of this case.

2) The raw data for any given key changes between subsequent presses,
  switching back and forth between two values.

For instance, the "1" key gives 38 bits, with 8004002000 on one
  press, then 4002001000 on the next, and then back to 8004002000.

The "2" key gives 35 bits, cylcing between  8020828020 on one press
  and 4024024020 on the next.

This is really bizarre.  Because it is consistent it doesn't look like a
hardware problem, it's more likely I have a bug in the software somewhere.

Am I dealing with RC-5 coded remotes? If so, is there any software
  for the Handy Board that will decode RC-5? Or am I facing some other
  issue?

My routines do not currently support RC-5 because I do not own a remote
using RC-5 to use for test purposes.  However, based on feedback from other
users, I have tried to include a warning message in the software if it
SEEMS that the remote is using the RC-5 standard.  I cannot guarantee that
the warning message will really work because I have no test device, but if
you repeatedly get the message "RC-5 NOT SUPPORTED" that should give you a
hint.  Note though, that this message might also appear in error if any
'garbage' signal is received due to excessive sunlight, low battery
conditions, etc.

Here are typical values that TEST.C is giving me for pulse widths:

Pulse_mode:     1               Bits:   38 or 35
Lpulse:         1150            Lspace: 630
1pulse:         2000            1space: 700
0pulse:         1000            0space: 700
Tpulse:         1030            Tspace: 1030

It is very interesting that you mention a result of Pulse_mode 1.  This is
unusual, and again is not a case that I can test with the remotes that I
own.  I have recently (within the past few weeks) tried to correct apparent
bugs regarding the pulse mode.  Please contact me privately at
mdavies@cam.org and tell me what version of my IR routines you are using,
and we can try to hammer out the problem.

BTW, the Tpulse and Tspace are always identical. Looking in TEST.C,
  they are both set to the same value. Is this a bug?

No, this is normal.  In real life, the "trailer space" is what happens
after the signal is finished, and is potentially infinite in length.  The
only reason a trailer space is included in the settings is to help separate
one signal from another should you transmit more than one button press in a
row.

/Max