 Robotics / Handy Board / 5380
Re: Handyboard Expansion Sonar Issues
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics.handyboard
Date:
Fri, 5 Feb 1999 18:57:05 GMT

On Fri, 5 Feb 1999, Nick Taylor wrote:

jdunn@unm.edu wrote:
<snip>
There is a very high probability that you plugged the foil cable in
backwards.  Doing so, even for a moment, will destroy the IC chips.

Please explain.  Now I'm worried about damaging my sonar board.  Since
the foil cable has conductors on only one side, I didn't think that it
was possible to plug it in "backwards" and still make an electrical
connection.

My understanding of the hookup is as follows:
On the HB Expansion Board pin 1 (gnd) of the Polaroid connector is
toward the top of the board.  On the Polaroid Ranging Module pin 1
is toward the left.  If the foil cable is connected so that the
dotted edge of the cable is nearest the pin 1 end of each connector,
I fail to see how there is any danger of damaging the sonar board.

It's possible that the flat flex cable could make electrical contact
either way, since the socket has "teeth" in it that could penetrate the
insulation on the one side of the cable.

And *don't* trust that the dotted edge is the correct one; I ordered the
pair of sonar kits, and it came with one cable correctly marked and the
other cable incorrectly marked.

Just make sure that pin 1 as marked on the sonar module board ends up
connected to the corresponding pin on the expansion board.  If you're in
any doubt, check the circuits and verify that V+ goes to V+, GND goes to
GND, etc.  I hope this helps.

--Will