 Robotics / Handy Board / 5379
Re: Handyboard Expansion Sonar Issues
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics.handyboard
Date:
Fri, 5 Feb 1999 16:11:39 GMT

Thanks.  That seems to have done it.  I don't
know how I missed that line.  Way cool device.

Thanks again for your help.

Stephen Michael
sa_michael@hotmail.com

From fredm@ml.media.mit.edu Thu Feb 04 14:53:35 1999
To: "Stephen Michael" <sa_michael@hotmail.com>
cc: handyboard@media.mit.edu
Subject: Re: Handyboard Expansion Sonar Issues
Date: Thu, 04 Feb 1999 17:54:49 -0500
From: "Fred G. Martin" <fredm@media.mit.edu>

did you put the capacitor c7 (0.1uf) in the sonar board, as indicated
in the directions?  if not, plesae do so and let me know if this
solves your problem.

fred

In your message you said:
To anyone who can help:

I too have contructed the HB expansion board.  All i/o
ports appear to work.  The servo controllers appear to
work well also.  However, like Ranjit, I'm having Polaroid
Sonar problems.  I got this as a kit from Wirtz Electronics.
When activated, it appears to function (it repeatedly clicks
when "sonar_display()" is executed), but returns apparently
random readings.

Does anyone have any suggestions as to what might be wrong?

Stephen Michael
sa_michael@hotmail.com

I assembled the expansion board and tested all I/O ports.
Everything checks out fine. I have the 6500 sonar module with
the flex cable. After loading 'sonar.c', I tried the
'sonar_display()' function. The transducer came to life with
its 'clicking', but the LCD displayed a very rapidly fluctuating
4 digit random number between 1100-1700. Aiming the transducer
in various positions has no effect on the numbers.

Any suggestions will be appreciated,
Ranjit

--
Ranjit Diol - COMPSys