 Robotics / Handy Board / 5305
Re: Will the SN754410 support...
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics.handyboard
Date:
Tue, 2 Feb 1999 02:56:31 GMT

if the worst-case current is 1.5A, you're probably OK -- the
SN754410's have thermal protection for over-current conditions.

they're rated for an amp continuous, so you're not too far out of
bounds.

one cause for concern is if the 1.5A measure is done with 6V, it could
be substantially higher with the HB's 9.6v supply. but then, the motor
chips lose a couple of volts, so you're back in a happy range.

fred

In your message you said:
I am trying to determine whether the SN754410 motor drivers will suppor • t
two small DC motors. (without killing the IC's or motor)  Or will I need to
add a power amplification circuit.
The motors are rated @ 6v ?A. Test show that they pull 0.35A loaded and
1.5A lock rotor.  Is this within the scope of the integrated hbridge of the
Handy board or will I "release the magically smoke" from the chips?
I have looked at the chips white papers for temp/current derating. (I f • eel
a little lost, trying to interpret the info.) :]   I would appreciate some
help in determining how to derate the chips due to temperature.
Hitting on the same thread can anyone tell me the power rating for thes • e
chips.

Thanks,
Trevor Batts