 Robotics / Handy Board / 5251
Re: Speech Synthesis?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics.handyboard
Date:
Tue, 26 Jan 1999 21:37:05 GMT

A few years ago, "back in the day..." (that is, high school), I did a
project that involved creating various vowel sounds as output for some
bumper sensors -- different resistances gave different vowels, that kind
of thing. The parts came from a cheap kit, though they are prettymuch
available anywhere. I think I still have the schematics, at home, and the
somewhat working model (dependent upon whether or not the siblings
have used up the battery). They sell the kits through the catalogs that
they sell chemicals and glass work and specimens, and other cool science
stuff. The kit was about $10, and came with everything that was needed
to do the project except solder and a soldering iron.It's also not
exactly small, though in my humble (an not really educated in the manner
of circuitry) opinion,someone who knows what they are doing would be
able to make it smaller. (The project did fairly well in the science
fair, at second place in the division. My project with the HB did much
better at first place overall.)
Haven't tried hooking it up to the HB and at this time, I don't plan
to. It's more an old-fashioned approach than those darn ICs that got
discontinued (two of the pre-recorded voice type I also may still have
for the second part of that project). :)  If I were to do it at the lab,
I would probably just throw some male pins where the schematics have
bumper sensors and plug it in in the motor ports or something like that,
even though I probably shouldn't do that, and hope I ruin neither the
board nor the circuit work by doing so. Not that I have plans to try it;
I've been working on using the HB as an evolving mapping processor, in
my copious amounts of spare time.

-kate

---
kate