 Robotics / Handy Board / 5221
Re: Stack Overflow
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics.handyboard
Date:
Sun, 24 Jan 1999 03:41:26 GMT

William Sitch wrote:

Hi everyone:

    I'm trying to download a rather large chunk of code to the HandyBoard,
and I'm having a problem when I exceed a certain number of instructions in a
procedure I'm running.  When I try to download the code, I get the error
"yacc stack overflow" pointing to a line in a procedure that I spawn to be
multitasked.

I tried to increase the stack size of the process I spawn, but the error
still exists.  I think I might be getting a compile-time stack overflow - or
something like that.  The procedure it crashes for is a leg controller, and
consists of many "if .. else if" statements.

It would be bad design to move some of the code to another procedure, and I
would like to avoid doing that.  Does anyone know exactly why I'm having
this problem, or what I could do to remedy the situation?

Thanks in advance.

--
William Sitch
4th Year Electrical Engineering   http://www.engsoc.carleton.ca/~wsitch

I'm pretty good at software and may be able to help you.  But I need to see your
code: please send it to me privately and I'll see what I can do.

PS:  What kind of hardware/software platform are you on?  "Yacc" is typically a
Unix program that I thought had nothing to do with IC.  (And yes, the real Unix
"yacc" can stack overflow with excessively nested if/then/else quite easily...
I just fixed a problem like that for my employer).

/Max