 Robotics / Handy Board / 5220
Re: Stack Overflow
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics.handyboard
Date:
Sat, 23 Jan 1999 23:00:16 GMT

Hi there,

In my humble opinion, I suspect that the problem is with
Interactive C.. Try a newer or older version. What  version
are you using, by the way ?

To quote Levine et al, "lex & yacc",  2nd Ed, O'Rielly & Assoc
page 259:
"yacc stack overflow  ....The yacc generated grammar has
exhausted its stack space ... Solution: Shorten or reorder the
expressions in the lex specification; rebuild lex with a larger
yacc stack area."

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Regan Russell BSc (Comp Sci)
www.users.bigpond.net.au/rrussell

-----Original Message-----
From: William Sitch <wsitch@engsoc.carleton.ca>
To: handyboard@media.mit.edu <handyboard@media.mit.edu>
Date: Sunday, January 24, 1999 6:35 AM
Subject: Stack Overflow

Hi everyone:

   I'm trying to download a rather large chunk of code to the HandyBoard,
and I'm having a problem when I exceed a certain number of instructions in • a
procedure I'm running.  When I try to download the code, I get the error
"yacc stack overflow" pointing to a line in a procedure that I spawn to be
multitasked.

I tried to increase the stack size of the process I spawn, but the error
still exists.  I think I might be getting a compile-time stack overflow - • or
something like that.  The procedure it crashes for is a leg controller, and
consists of many "if .. else if" statements.

It would be bad design to move some of the code to another procedure, and I
would like to avoid doing that.  Does anyone know exactly why I'm having
this problem, or what I could do to remedy the situation?

Thanks in advance.

--
William Sitch
4th Year Electrical Engineering   http://www.engsoc.carleton.ca/~wsitch