 Robotics / Handy Board / 5181
5180  |  5182
Subject:
Battery Level Indicator
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics.handyboard
Date:
Wed, 20 Jan 1999 03:12:23 GMT

I have been playing around with trying to make a battery indicator on
my Handy Board.  I did find the below diagram from a earlier posting in
March of 98.

     BAT --------R1---------*--------- Analog5 Input

      +ve        (10K)       |             (Active)

                            R2  (4K7)

                             *--------- Gnd (at Analog5

                                             Connector)

I tried this and it didn't seem to work, although if I changed the
10K and 47K resistor around I manage to get a reading from analog 5.

I was trying to use the battery indicator to check if my robot had hit
an object, although the analog reading only seems to drop 1 point
between
when the motor is running and when it is stalled.  This then makes it
difficult to determine if the voltage is dropping 'cos the battery is
running out OR the robot has stalled.
I guess my question is, is this a good/bad method to check if the robot
is stuck?.  I do like this method of testing if the robot is stuck 'cos
only have to check one sensor.  Are there other better ways like this???
Any help would be appreicated.......
Cheers

PS
In my playing around I think I have zapped analog(5) as it now reads '0'
when there is no input (OOoouups).  Is it truely dead or can I bring it
back??.