 Robotics / Handy Board / 5103
5102  |  5104
Subject:
360 degree ranging
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics.handyboard
Date:
Mon, 11 Jan 1999 22:01:27 GMT

I'm building a theory about how to make a 360 range finding system.  It only
needs to be accurate out to, say, a foot or 18 inches.  basically it's a
"before you bump" bump system.

I've thought of using a series of IR emitters/detectors in a circular
fashion.  Then timing a pulse from each emitter and waiting for the detector
to fire off, and return the value (resistance) to the HB's analog input.  I
only want to use one input for this, not all of the 8 inputs, which would
probably make the project easier, then I'd just have to do the polling in
software.

So, here's what I think i need:

8 IR detectors/emitters. to cover a rough 360 degree view.
A circuit to switch between each detector/emitter pair.
A timing device to fire off the IR emitter and a latch to hold the value
coming off of the detector.

However, I also need to know which detector did the detecting.  So, the
switching mechanism would set a value (binary counter?) to indicate which
detector is active, or more accurately, which detector the value on the
latch/buffer belongs to.

I'm thinking this might be better done as a serial interface design, that
way you could pass the detector number, followed by the value of the
detector.

If someone has already done this, please send me your link to your website
or some readme files.  I know this can be done, but with my crippled
knowledge of electronics, i'll have to rely on your brainpower to get me
through this....

Thanks,
Mark Williamson