 Robotics / Handy Board / 4983
Re: HD LCD problems
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics.handyboard
Date:
Thu, 17 Dec 1998 18:12:15 GMT

I encountered some problem in the downloading. I was successfully able to
download the p_code into the HD. However, When the instruction proned me
to reset the board,it always appears on the LCD without any lettering like
"version 3.1...."on it . It is just blank with '16 dark squares' printing
on the LCD.

On a lark, I'll suggest that perhaps U6 is damaged.  If you have another
74HC138 around, try swapping it for the one on your HB.  I had a
"similar" problem (although not identical) and was able to diagnose the
74HC138 as the problem.

I too was seeing occassional failures to come up and often saw instead
the 16 black elements across the LCD display.

I also saw that when I removed the LCD while the board was running and
re-inserted it, I often also go the 16 black elements.  I don't know if
this helps shed any light.

I have now 3 Handy Boards and one was not working correctly.  I was able
to narrow it down to U5 or U6 and with a simple chip swap with one of the
good HB's found it to be the 74HC138.  BTW, everytime I pulled the chip,
all the p_code had to be re-downloaded again - pulling the chip seems to
do a complete brain drain.

If you have an extra 74HC138 lying around, it's certainly worth a try.