 Robotics / Handy Board / 4970
Re: Mapping
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics.handyboard
Date:
Tue, 15 Dec 1998 15:31:32 GMT

Identify the characteristics of your sensor
The sonar we are using has a detection cone of about 40 degrees, this
depends upon the texture, material, shape, and size of the obstacle.  A
flat metal surface directed straight back at the sensor broadens the cone
to about 60 degrees up close (1.5' to 5' for the Polaroid sensor).  And
narrows the cone to about 2 degrees at very far distances (about 22' for
the Polaroid) because nothing else is detected at those distances.  The
surface used was 12ga steel 1'x1' smooth plate. Other obstacles were kept
out of it's line of vision.  ~2msec / foot of distance according to the
oscope used.  A person on the other hand could only be detected out to
about 7'.

Watch the critical angle for the sonar too.  If the sonar doesn't hit
almost straight on, some of the energy will be reflected off at an
angle, and may provide false longer distances.  Smooth surfaces will
have a lower critical angle then coarse surfaces.

   ]< <------------>| wall
  sonar             |

straight on good measurement

  ]< <-
       \
        \
         \      |
          \     |
           \    |
            \   |
             \  |
              \ |
               \|
               /|
              / |
             /  |
            v   |

   Angle reflection longer measurement.

Good mapping will take a combination of sensors, and actual wandering
of the room to detect all obstacles and make an accurate map.  Decide
your grid size, and program the robot to get to each size area, and
mark the grid as open or filled.