 Robotics / Handy Board / 4960
4959  |  4961
Subject:
Problems getting a L298H based motor controller to work...
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics.handyboard
Date:
Mon, 14 Dec 1998 04:49:01 GMT

Hi,

On Friday I received a L298H based motor controller kit from JCM
Electronics.  The assembly was fairly painless, however I can't seem to
get it to work.  I get 5 volts out of the logic battery output, so the
regulator is working.  I double checked that all the diodes were properly
connected and I buzzed out all the obvious connections and didn't find any
faults.  I also carefully checked for solder bridges and didn't find any.
When I connect +5v from the logic battery output to the left enable and
fwd signal and expected to see 7.2 volts across the left motor output.
But I didn't see anything...

I only have minimal experience working with this type of stuff (I'm a
software weenie) and I don't have the slightest clue how to debug this.
Any ideas what might be wrong or how I might go about diagnosing the
problem?

I've haven't done much assembly like this (wire wrap is more my speed) but
I was fairly careful (anti-static mat, temperature controlled iron).  I
thought that the most sensitive part would be the regulator, but it seems
to be working just fine.  I thought the L298 was a fairly tough part, so
if I fried it, I'm going to be in big trouble when I start working with
PICs (next step).

Also, my voltage source is a freshly charged 7.2 volt RC car battery and
I'm using a HandyBoard for the control (as soon as I get this thing to
work).

           Many thanks,
           Clem