 Robotics / Handy Board / 4922
Re: Question for Fred
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics.handyboard
Date:
Wed, 9 Dec 1998 10:20:31 GMT

hello,

i use the handyboard for closed loop position control.  the handyboard is
good for such a task provided that you choose a motor well suited for the
task, and an accurate feedback element, such as a (very) linear pot or
optical encoder.  as for choice of open loop or closed loop control, i
would almost always choose closed loop, unless you are not going to drive
any kind of load with your output.  if you were to have a changing load on
the output of an open loop system, then you will have an unpredictable
(somewhat large) error.  in my case, i use a DC motor, not a stepper
motor.  you ask about a servo motor; if you were to use a servo motor, then
you would not need a closed loop control system, that is already done for
you.  the handyboard comes with functions for servos, so you would not need
much design to take that route.  in the case of the store bought servo, the
accuracy is determined by the quality of the design, if you are planning to
design your own servo, then the accuracy depends on the components that you
use, and your control algorithms.  hope this helps, good luck.

--
Justin D. Gullotta..
Undergraduate Research Project