 Robotics / Handy Board / 4884
Re: Apple Microphones
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics.handyboard
Date:
Fri, 4 Dec 1998 19:15:15 GMT

Has anyone used Apple computer microphones with their robots. The mic
seems to have a left and right channel. It has a circuit board inside the
case. I don't what the circuit actually does. It would great if I could
just connect it to the handyboard or miniboard as is. Does anyone have any
ideas?

I would only caution you that there are two types of microphones for the
Mac -- regular mics and "PlainTalk" microphones.  I suspect you are
talking about a PlainTalk mic.  The obvious distinguishing difference is
the "longer than normal" male plug connector on the PlainTalk mic.  It's
not left/right stereo but rather the long connector is for supplying
power to the mic.  I can never remember all the various types of mics --
some are passive, some active -- electret, condenser, etc.  In any event,
I believe the mic requires power and so is probably "active" and if
memory serves me a condenser mic.  But someone else can clarify that.  I
don't know the technical specs.

john calhoun-