 Robotics / Handy Board / 4689
RE: IR output connection
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics.handyboard
Date:
Tue, 10 Nov 1998 09:01:25 GMT

Using a 'hacked' GPIU58X (see Novasoft website for acrobat file
describing changes required) you can get an analogue reading relating to
the distance from an object. The transmitting LED has to be modulated at
the correct frequency and should be mounted with the HB. The acrobat
file list the possible ranges as 0.5 to 44 inches, but this does require
some extra software control.
I haven't tried this myself but I intend to in the near future.

Hope this helps.

John
mailto:john_hatton@bigfoot.com

----------
From: Rajbala  Makar[SMTP:makarraj@cse.msu.edu]
Sent: 09 November 1998 20:32
To: handyboard@media.mit.edu
Subject: IR output connection

Hi All:

With a lot of help from you all , I am finally able to send out
a modulated signal from one HB which the other can recognize. :)
Now I am trying out obstacle avoidance using the IR. I tried to use
the standard ir_detect() function with the library. But I could not
get the LED to transmit anything. My guess is that my connections for
the left and right ir output LED's are not correct ( I connected them to
J6). And I could not understand where is the PE4 and do I have to connect
a detector to it or the Sharp chip is enough ( J7 )

So could someone explain the J6 connections to me properly? I mean, how to
make
it into outputs?

Another question , has anyone done range detection using IR? I mean, the
distance to the obstacle, depending on the intensity if the beam?

Thanks again.

Rajbala