 Robotics / Handy Board / 4669
4668  |  4670
Subject:
To step or not to step
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics.handyboard
Date:
Fri, 6 Nov 1998 13:44:24 GMT

Hi all,

Iam trying to make up my mind on which type of motor to use on my robot,
I have got two stepper motors with built in quadriture encoders and also two
12v 2amp
D.C. motors with gearbox's. I have made a test bot built from Lego with two
9Volt Lego motors
with Microsoft mouse contact type encoders fixed to the drive shafts. Every
thing seems to work ok
but a find I have not got a lot of control or precision moving at low speed,
also I overrun due to momentum
when trying to stop. Basically will I get more control and precision using
stepper motors and also will the
extra work involved with getting stepper working be worth the trouble in the
end run, or am I better off sticking
to DC motors

Any input, experiences, comments , would be appreciated