 Robotics / Handy Board / 4654
4653  |  4655
Subject:
robot navigation.
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics.handyboard
Date:
Mon, 2 Nov 1998 14:19:56 GMT

Hi all,

My robot has come to the stage where its time to start writing the basic
navigation routines. I have two encoders on each rear drive wheel and two
caster type wheels on the front.I have been trying to put some basic
software modules together but without much luck. Ive wrote two functions
that get started as processes which control each motor by monitoring a set
of global vars. There are two vars one for each wheel which is the desired
velocity and two vars for actual velocity. What i tried to do is set the
desired velocity and then the two processes increase motor speed until the
desired velocity is reached by comparing the variables, But the BOT seems to
zig zag when trying to move slowly, at speed it seems o.k. Now this is just
for straight lines, i think i will struggle when i am trying to do 90deg
turns and so on. I guess what i need is some sample code if anybody could
share some with me. I am after some kind of software engine where you send
commands to it like forward, backward, turn-left etc and then i can have a
program running that sits on top of the engine giving movement commands
whilst monitoring collision sensors.

any help would be appreciated, Thanks Russ......