 Robotics / Handy Board / 463
Re: 15' max measurement
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics.handyboard
Date:
Tue, 28 May 1996 20:06:15 GMT

Yup, it looks like 15' is about as far as I can measure.  In fact,
if the distance is _too_ great, I start getting weird measurements, on the
order of 8 or 9 feet.  Strange.  I turned the gain up a bit, which keeps
those erratic measurements from happening as often, but 15' still seems to
be the maximum measurement I can make.  By the way, this is with a .1uF cap
across C7 on the board, and a 1K resistor inline with BINH.  Is this the
typical maximum for everyone else?  Or is something weird going on with my
module?   (Wrong resistor size, lead lengths too long, etc...)  I mean, 15'
is great, but why not make it closer to the max specs instead? :-)

I just noticed that the Polaroid Specs say that the transducer pulse current is 2 A. 100mA idle. Since it was mentioned previously that the HB's VR is rated for 1 Amp, how would this affect the sonar? Perhaps whatever is left of the 1A available (after the HB draws current) is not sufficient to make the sonar effective for long distances?