 Robotics / Handy Board / 4594
4593  |  4595
Subject:
IR Landmarks
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics.handyboard
Date:
Mon, 26 Oct 1998 16:40:26 GMT

Greetings!

Does any one know of some device that could be used to continuously
transmit a certain IR code. What I am trying to do is to have an HB
based robot try out some navigational tasks, based on what it senses
as well as have an internal representation of the floor space. This way
the robot can be made to acrry out tasks that require it to go from
a given location in its world, to a "goal" location.

In order to make things interesting, one could define certain landmarks.
Given the suite of sensors (think photosensors, IR reflectance, and ON/OFF
Switches, and IR detection), I was thinking of placing landmarks that
send a beacon, identifying themselves....I could simply use the SONy remote
and give it the proper landmark signal every time it gets to a particular
landmark, but it would be nicer if I could just place some device that
periodically emits the signal.

One possibility that comes to mind is the iButton (that can be programmed
using Java). But I am clueless about the IR spec of iButtons and whether
they will be compatible with the sony ir codes. I can imagine putting
several iButtons emitting different codes marking locations in the
"world".

Deepak.
---
Deepak Kumar                            E-mail: dkumar@blackcat.brynmawr.edu
Department of Math. & Computer Science                 Voice: (610) 526-7485
Bryn Mawr College                  Fax: (610) 526-5086
Bryn Mawr, PA 19010               WWW: http://mainline.brynmawr.edu/~dkumar/