 Robotics / Handy Board / 4589
Re: Stepper Motor.
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics.handyboard
Date:
Sun, 25 Oct 1998 14:52:04 GMT

Keith,
     At first blush I would suggest the following connections:

Motor Out 0   1 - stepper phase #1
Motor Out 1   2-    ''     ''   #2
Motor Out 2   3-    ''     ''   #3
Motor Out 3   4 -   ''     ''   #4
Ground         5 - stepper common #1,3
Ground         6 - stepper common #2,4

Your program would look like:

long  someTime;
someTime = knob();  /* set time delay with frob knob */
while (1) { /* Forever */
  while (start_press()) {  /* Motor spins one way */
    fd(0);
    msleep(someTime);
    off(0);
    fd(1);
    msleep(someTime);
    off(1);
    fd(2);
    msleep(someTime);
    off(2);
    fd(3);
    msleep(someTime);
    off(3);
  }
  while (stop_press()) {  /* Motor spins the other way */
    fd(3);
    msleep(someTime);
    off(3);
    fd(2);
    msleep(someTime);
    off(2);
    fd(1);
    msleep(someTime);
    off(1);
    fd(0);
    msleep(someTime);
    off(0);
  }
}

    You might want to use an ohm meter to measure the resistance of the coils
before you start.  If the resistance is less and 5 ohms, I really wouldn't
expect too much from the motor outputs, but it might still do something no
load.  This is a crude approach, and you might want to spend some time
fiddling with the way you arrive at "someTime."  But I think this will get you
started.

Hope this helps
Pherd