 Robotics / Handy Board / 4585
4584  |  4586
Subject:
Implementation question
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics.handyboard
Date:
Sat, 24 Oct 1998 14:36:36 GMT

I am busy building the HB but I cannot get it to work yet. Here are the
symptoms.
The serial board works as expected and performs all tests as described
in the implementation manual. RAM and HC11 are installed as well as the
LCD. I am using the sharp LCD. The only problem with the sharp is that
the pins are placed in such a way that I need a flat cable to connect
it.

I have tried several downloaders to get the pcode into the board. Most
of them tell me that the download went okay and some ever report the two
step process went okay (first the bootstrap loader, than the program).
But as soon as I try to reset the board and run IC version 2 or 3, it
cannot find the Handy Board. The LCD shows a solid row of blocks. I also
tried the pcode that runs the HB without the LCD, to no avail. IC
version 3.x cannot even communicate with the board. It refuses to see
the board and will not download anything.

I suspect the reset circuitry. Is there a test that can be performed to
make sure that data is actually downloaded into RAM before the board is
Reset ? How crucial is the Dallas Semiconductor voltage monitor chip ?
Can it be replaced by other, similar chips, like the one used in the
rug-warrior original plans (8810) ?

Regards,
Ronald Wijngaarde
The Netherlands