 Robotics / Handy Board / 4547
4546  |  4548
Subject:
Questions about sensors
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics.handyboard
Date:
Tue, 20 Oct 1998 17:18:36 GMT

Hi all,

I'm having fun with my HB! For a software guy like me a 8 bit processor at 2 Mhz with 32K of RAM is a little small but it's so easy to add sensors to it it's just plain fun! But I'm an hardware newbie and I need more info on the sensors I can add to my little board.

I build my first robot a couple of days ago on a really simple wood+tape base: it was pretty stupid, running straight (or trying to run straight, I guess I need some shaft encoder to make it real straight) and backing up and turning when bumping into a wall. Primitive. And it felt completely apart on the third wall. I guess I need a better base to build on;^)

Now I have some work to do. I need to understand what kind of information all these sensors are going to return and what I can do from it. For example I played with a photocell plugged in the HB and I'm trying to see what I can do with it. It can detect a color change when it's close to a surface (I guess I can build a line follower from that), it can also detect a light source in a distance if you encase the photocell in a tube to narrow its angle. Is there any other uses?

I also got a reflective infrared sensor (I bought my HB from Gleason Research, and I got the sensor/motor kit they are offering with it) and I don't really know what to do with it! It seems to give me a reading relative to the sensor distance from a surface, but not always... And sometime I got "close" reading when I'm actually really far from any surface... Can somebody explain to me the logic behind this? There is so many infrared stuff in these electronics catalogs, and nowhere an explanation on the differences between them! What's the difference between my reflective infrared sensor and the one used by Rug Warrior to do shaft encoding? I tried to test mine on top of a piece of paper with black and white stripes and I cannot get a different reading on the black that I can get from the white... I'm confused ;^)

What kind of sensors are you using on your bots? And more importantly for what purpose did you select this sensor?

-- Eric

PS: Thanks to all of you for your recommendations on a LEGO set to use. I'm waiting for the LEGO and LEGO-DACTA catalogs to show up in my mailbox and I'll let you know what I do end-up buying.