 Robotics / Handy Board / 4518
4517  |  4519
Subject:
HB is just fine the way it is. [was: RE: The HandyBoard Mailing Lst]
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics.handyboard
Date:
Wed, 14 Oct 1998 22:46:53 GMT

On Tue, 13 Oct 1998, 1177 wrote:

The junk mail part is true, but I'm not sure how true it is that you need
Internet access to read newsgroup. You see, the dialup is regulated by a
server computer. This computer has different accessible ports. One of them
is the email port. Another one is the news port, which is port 119. So,
any thing with an email port should have a news port. Then news reader
does NOT do any transfer like HTTP (which would be internet). Rather, it
acts like an email client and connects to the server the same way an email
program does, just on a diffrent port. Heck, I think that even the
protocols are similar!

Erm... not quite.  I much prefer an email based distribution.  I don't
access the net interactively that often.  I just queue up my mail, and my
computer autonomously purges each evening while I sleep.  If the
handyboard list were a newsfeed, I would be required, at the very least,
to set up yet another process that bulk acquires the latest postings, as
well as my mail.  Worse case, I would have to bring up an interactive
session and tie up my phone line to access the latest HB postings.  Thank
you, no.

just my (010)b cents.

-d
The box said "Requires Windows 95/NT or better"...
                                                 So I got Unix.

Free the Source.  Free your Computer... http://www.FreeBSD.org
                                          http://www.NetBSD.org
                                            http://www.OpenBSD.org