 Robotics / Handy Board / 4505
RE: The HandyBoard Mailing Lst
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics.handyboard
Date:
Tue, 13 Oct 1998 16:50:42 GMT

Unless Fred knows any different and 2 days is an accurate time I would
suggest changing your ISP as I have always received the mailing list
copy of any messages that I have sent within 30 minutes of being sent.

Also a news group would require this part of internet access whereas
most people have access to email (mine is at work so reading emails is
allowed but internet access is restricted) not every body would want to
or be able to access a news group. So in my opinion the mailing list is
better, and we hardly ever get junk mail (I don't remember seeing any
within the last year).

The junk mail part is true, but I'm not sure how true it is that you need
Internet access to read newsgroup. You see, the dialup is regulated by a
server computer. This computer has different accessible ports. One of them
is the email port. Another one is the news port, which is port 119. So,
any thing with an email port should have a news port. Then news reader
does NOT do any transfer like HTTP (which would be internet). Rather, it
acts like an email client and connects to the server the same way an email
program does, just on a diffrent port. Heck, I think that even the
protocols are similar!

---phil
   thehahns@netwurx.net

John