 Robotics / Handy Board / 444
RE: Expansion interface status
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics.handyboard
Date:
Wed, 22 May 1996 15:51:14 GMT
MSI: Sean Cunningham <{sean@msiconsulting}StopSpammers{.com}>

While I welcome the small kits, they introduce interface issues for
beginners, especially if there are multiple kits attached simultaneously
- seems like this is a problem the expansion board should be solving
rather than causing.

The value I am hoping for in handy expansions is:
o  Added digital and analog ports
o  Dedicated ports for common peripherals (servo's, sonar, etc)
o  Integrated and complete software support for the above in IC

Re-inventing the wheel doesn't make sense and S.E.'s servo board is
ideal - I use it every day.  I see little need for the PIC programming
capability - most people who use PICs will probably want to invest (!)
in a dedicated and more capable programming system - you can get kits
for under $40 to do this.

Perhaps the best thing would be 2 or 3 serial ports for interfacing to
option boards, such as S.E.'s Stamp Stretcher board (provides a bunch of
i/o and adc) and servo board.

-----
Does anyone know the current status of the expansion interface?

My poor handy is at capacity for some i/o functions ;-(

Yes.  The current status is "on hold" while I rethink the feature set.

I'm considering doing something more like Scott Edward's little servo
board for HB expansion:  that is, a collection of small, physically
detached boards.  For servo's, I don't have to do any work, because
S.E.'s board is ideal.

If people have any reactions to this, or comments about what features
they think are needed, post to the list!