 Robotics / Handy Board / 4413
Re: HB controlling robot.
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics.handyboard
Date:
Fri, 25 Sep 1998 15:29:55 GMT

As I know, a program can be downloaded to the HB and it can then run • without
any PC connection.

Can anybody give me some insights on how this can be done?

Really simple.

1. Write code using Interactive C
2. Download code to Handyboard
3. Either run main() from IC or reset the board (cycle power)
4. Unplug the cable between board and PC

Congratulations, your robot is now running free of the PC.

If you want the robot to do stuff by itself you might like to try the
bump-and-turn approach to start off with. That means the bot drives forward
until it hits something, backs off and turns, then keeps going forward.
Progress from there.

Or alternately if you wanted to still have control of the robot without the
pc being connected use the IR receiver to give it commands. I grabbed a sony
remote control and pressed a few buttons to find out the code.
Once you have those it's a simple matter to have a few if statements decide
what the code is and move forward, turn etc.

Hope this helps,
Adam