 Robotics / Handy Board / 4315
Re: source for Futaba servo motors?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics.handyboard
Date:
Mon, 17 Aug 1998 16:31:33 GMT

Richard Drushel wrote:

        My previous source for Futaba (and compatible) servo motors, Images
Company of Staten Island, NY, tells me they can no longer get them unless
they're bundled with RC transceivers.  Anybody have another source for just
the servo motors?  I want 6 Futaba S148 (or equivalent).  I guess I should
limit the sources to "continental US".

I've been buying lots and lots of servos from TowerHobbies (1-800-637-4989) and
modifying them for our local robot group here in St. Louis.  I've always received
good customer service from them.  The best prices on servos are their store brand
which I believe used to all be Hobbico servos (made in IL as I recall).  But now
they have both a "System 2000" and a "System 3000" line of servos.  I believe the
"2000" servos are still made by Hobbico, and that the "3000" servos are Futaba.
As I recall the "2000" servo part numbers corresponded directly to the Hobbico
numbers; but the "3000" part numbers do *not* correspond to their Futaba
equivalents.

I've been using TS-53 servos, which I'm pretty sure must be a Futaba S3003
(although I've never dissected a S3003 to confirm this).  Any way it's made lower
cost than the S148 by using the PCB as an integral part of the mechanical support
for the motor, and some other things have been simplified.  The bottom line being
that it's not as easy to modify as the S148, but since you can get them for under
$10 each I chose to deal with it.  When I convert the TS-53 to be a simple gear
head motor, I end up removing all the parts from the PCB so it can still be used
to support the motor.

If I can be of more help, you're welcome to email me directly,

    Rick