 Robotics / Handy Board / 4256
Re: speed of the board
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics.handyboard
Date:
Tue, 4 Aug 1998 19:41:44 GMT

anton_attanayake@rd.qms.com[SMTP:anton_attanayake@rd.qms.com]

     I am worried about the 2MHz clock speed of the HB.  The robot that I
     am building has a mouse in the bottom of it and I am writing the
     program to read the number of digital pulses and calculate the
     position relative to the starting point.  There are many square roots
     and unit vector additions in the calculations.

I assume you are going to need to do trig functions as well?

I've written software that functions as a 2-D odometer, and uses encoders on the
two wheels, and I had to write sin,cos,atan2 functions.

How are you getting rotational information out of the mouse?  Does your robot
not turn, or is the mouse offset from the centerline of the wheels so that you
can calculate rotation from the x-axis, and use the y-axis to get
forward/backward motion?

Any way, I suspect that your either going to have to write a lot of assembly, or
use some other language than IC.  I ended up writing an integer based trig
library that allowed me to do a sin and cos calculation from inside an interrupt
function; but I was using a faster processor and had a lot of memory to do table
lookups.  I also had a lot of code of the form:

    int a;
    int b;
    int c;

    c = (int)(((long)a<<15)/c);

which won't work in IC since it doesn't support long division, ARGH!

Maybe if you gave us more details of what you're planning to do, we could be of
more help.

Later,

    Rick