 Robotics / Handy Board / 4249
RE: speed of the board
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics.handyboard
Date:
Tue, 4 Aug 1998 13:11:43 GMT

You shouldn't lose place if the mouse is serviced by input counters and
interrupt routines, so whether 2 MHz is fast enough depends on how often you
need the positions calculated from the mouse counters.  You won't be able to
get that as fast as the mouse counter updates, but all you have to do is get
the latest and do your calculation.  It's the control aspects using that
information which will determine whether your application is fast enough.

Mike

Lockheed Martin, Houston TX
michael.ross@lmco.com
Engineering Analysis and Simulation Dept
281-333-7094; C33; 34KN

----------
From:
anton_attanayake@rd.qms.com[SMTP:anton_attanayake@rd.qms.com]
Sent: Monday, August 03, 1998 2:23 PM
To: handyboard@media.mit.edu
Subject: speed of the board

     Hi guys,

     I am worried about the 2MHz clock speed of the HB.  The robot that I
     am building has a mouse in the bottom of it and I am writing the
     program to read the number of digital pulses and calculate the
     position relative to the starting point.  There are many square roots

     and unit vector additions in the calculations.
     Do you think the above speed is good enough for the job?

     I know the E series 6811 runs at a faster clock speed.  So can I
     replace the 6811 chip and the oscillator and get a faster performing
     controller board?  If yes, please let me know where to get the parts
     and things to know when making the change.

     Thanks every body,
     -anton