 Robotics / Handy Board / 4206
Re: Various Basic Issues
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics.handyboard
Date:
Tue, 28 Jul 1998 04:07:06 GMT

<snip!>

(1)  When you say IC is a subset of C, do you mean C or C++ ?  I
imagine I will have to teach myself C, but was confused at the store
that most books were for C++.

I believe it is a subset of striaght C. However, I never learned C: I junped
straight into C++ before even getting my HB. However, programming was of no
dificulty to me, even thought I only knew C++

(2)  What do =I= need to program with IC on my PC (Pentium 233 or so)?
I imagine I would need UNIX?  Would the line editor for IC work on my
PC as well as MITY Athena, whatever that is?

IC will work on a computer. I have used it on my 386/sx laptop as well on my
Pentium 2 - 233 desktop. IC has been ported to the IBM/PC. All you need is a
serial port......

(3)  I was going to ask if anyone had a "cheat sheet" for the resistor
color bands, but I found an excellent one on the web, thank goodness.
:-)

I think the IC would be the hardest to tackle, and so it may be better
for me to not even try it, but stick to a simpler language, esp. as I
have not had a math class in 15 yrs, although that was Calc II.

IC really is not that hard, especially if you keep the HB technical
reference at your side. The only previous experiance I had had with
programming was a little bit of BASIC, and then C++ (I learned all I know
about c++ from the book 'teach yourself C++ in 21 days' by Jesse Liberty,
and then by reading help files that came with my c++ compiler. C++ can't be
that much more hard than Calc II!

Any comments anybody wants to throw at me?  I appreciate the feedback
about Fischertechnic and I gobbled up 3 big sets (1400 pieces) for
half price this weekend.
Phil Hahn
phil@rent-a-nerd.com