 Robotics / Handy Board / 4072
Re: microcontroller speeds
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics.handyboard
Date:
Sun, 28 Jun 1998 17:12:15 GMT

If they replace the controller on their board with a chip that is rated at
20MHz but they are still using the old board with its 16MHz oscillator
won't it still run at 16MHz?

----------
From: Thomas Hauri <har@twi.ch>
To: brian-c@technologist.com
Cc: handyboard@media.mit.edu
Subject: Re: micrcontroller speeds
Date: Sunday, June 28, 1998 8:34 AM

Hi

Replacing the 16MHz version with the 20 Mhz CPU would affect only the
timer speed of the internal timers.
We are using the MC and MD versoon of the 196.
Connected to those timers are about the following :

-PWM 1 & 2
-Wavegenerator (if it has one)
- timer unit (capture and compare unit)
- counters
- serial interface (UARTS)

Maybe there is more, but at this time a can't think of any.

What your main problem will be if using motion control is that your pwm
will run at a 25% higher speed and the time critical stuff relaying on
the timer structure. Further any real tme interrupts will run 25%
faster.  Speed measurement using the timers will go wrong by 25%.

You may have to change all the above to be sure your system doesn't do
strange things.

Hope this helps a little.

BYE  Tom

brian-c@technologist.com schrieb:

This question has nothing to do with the Handy Board
although it is a general question which I need some
help with.

Previous students at the school I attend left behind
a robot which they worked on. The microcontroller was
Intel's 80C196. The microcontroller is shot however,
so we need to get a replacement. It is offered in both
16 and 20 MHz versions. The original used in the robot
was the 16 MHz version, however we can only find the
20 MHz version now.

If I was to replace the 16 MHz controller with a
20 MHz version would it affect any of the programming?
What would some effects be if any?

Maybe direct help some of you big microcontroller
gurus would be best. (Fred, Randy,... hint,hint)  :)

Thanks in advance,
Brian Carvalho              [ brian-c@ieee.org ]
DeVRY Institute
New Jersey

--
MIME ATTACHMENTS DISCARDED:

1.  Content-Type: text/html; charset=ISO-8859-1