 Robotics / Handy Board / 4054
4053  |  4055
Subject:
Infrared Sensors
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics.handyboard
Date:
Thu, 25 Jun 1998 23:52:49 GMT

A few weeks back I was a little dissapointed in the performance of the QT
refective optosensors which come with the Handy Board because when using them on
the digital inputs, their range was only 1/4 to 1/2 inch or less.

Some people told me to use the Radio Shack type Infrared modules. This was
something I really frowned upon because I needed 5 sets of sensors, so this
would add up to alot of space.

If anyone is interested in using sensors on the digital inputs here's a way to
get a range of 3 to 3 1/2 inches, as opposed to 1/4 inch.

-----

I constructed my own sensor/emitter pairs from the following two Digikey parts:

L14N2QT-ND  Infrared photo transistor
LN66-ND     Infrared LED

The transistor is a 3 legged version so I removed the Base leg. Although if you
keep it on, you can attach a potentiometer to it and vary the sensitivity of the
sensor.  (something I havent played with yet)

*also please note the emitter and collector legs are swapped, the emitter is the
leg with the tab on the outside of the can.

The wiring is straight forward. I used the same approach shown in the Handy
Board manual. The emitter was grounded, collector was wired to the signal input,
and the LED was limited with a 330 ohm resistor.

----

Anything within 3 to 3 1/2 inches gives a true result (0), everything else give
a false (1). The numbers are swapped but it works.  :)

Hope someone finds this useful.

Brian Carvalho              [ brian-c@ieee.org ]
DeVRY Institute
New Jersey