 Robotics / Handy Board / 404
403  |  405
Subject:
A Project In Planning
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics.handyboard
Date:
Fri, 10 May 1996 04:12:13 GMT

Hi Ya,

I am a team member of a team that is planning to build a robotic
platform for a research project. What we want to do is build a platform
with a Handy Board and a PC on it. The HB will deal with the drive
motors (through and interface card to deal with the higher voltage and
current) and the i/o of sensors and such. What we want to do is make the
HB a slave to the PC. On the pc we will load some sort of TSR or driver
that we can talk to from a C program on the PC.

I am an electronic tech (rusty but commited) that can build any of the
electronics that we need. The question I have is has anyone setup a HB
as a slave unit. How would I go about it?

I had an idea of some sort of program that would be inserted into the
18.2hz clock on the PC that would just look at a common piece of memory
and send any messages needed out to the HB and then query the HB for any
activated inputs and put the returned values into the common memory (in
some sort of struct)
Am I out in left field with this?
Is there an easier way to do this?
Has it already been done? (no I have not read the serial comm program
that is reffered to in the FAQ. I'm getting there)
Will that serial program give me a good start?

Any help would be appreciated.
Mike
BTW What we have in mind is to build this out of common parts and things
a handy person could build. It's two main design criteria is
1) it shall be "tough as nails" to stand up to students who run it into
the wall.
2) It shall be reproducable. So that it shall be able to be built by
regular people with easy to find parts.
When we get the initial description done I will post it here. (its on
it's first bounce between me and my partner)
Have a good one!