 Robotics / Handy Board / 4016
Re: Cheap air flow sensor
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics.handyboard
Date:
Mon, 22 Jun 1998 16:12:55 GMT

On 22 Jun 98 at 10:39, Sathe Dilip wrote:

Finally I managed to put the schematic of Wind-O-meter described in
the Elektor publication in ASCII.  Pl. set your reader font to
something like courier to view it properly.  I have taken some
liberty with the opamp symbol to accomodate some component
connections.

(circuit and description deleted)

Neat idea! It reminds me of a simple variometer (rate of climb/sink)
circuit in an old RC glider magazine. It used two small naked bead or
glass encapsulated thermistors  in a bridge circuit and the
thermistors were in a tube connected to a bottle. As the air pressure
changed and air flowed in or out,  the "up wind" one  cooled more
than the "down wind" one in its wind shadow and any "common
mode" temperature changes cancelled. Again the current was set to
give the appropriate self heating. Very similar to what you describe.

        Regards,
            Graeme

Graeme Dunbar
School of Electronic and Electrical Engineering
The Robert Gordon University
Schoolhill, Aberdeen AB10 1FR, Scotland, U.K.
Tel. +44 1224 262415
Fax  +44 1224 262444
email  g.r.a.dunbar@rgu.ac.uk