 Robotics / Handy Board / 3969
Re: Cheap air flow sensor
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics.handyboard
Date:
Tue, 16 Jun 1998 14:23:51 GMT

Elektor had published a similar circuit for detecting air leaks.  The
heated transistor and another transistor acting as temp. sensor were
glued together using heatsink compound.  You had then to
nullify/calibrate a meter at ambient temp.  when the transistor pair was
held near a air leak, the temp. difference caused a meter deflection
(basically the current required to maintain the transistor temp. was
monitored).  The circuit was not meant for absolute air flow measurement
but could probably be modified.

I have this schematic somewhere at home.  May take a couple of days to
draw it in ASCII (I am not good at it :-).  Let me know if you are
interested.

Newark electronics used to carry a capacitive humidity sensor for about
$ 12.  The same device is manufactured by 2-3 companies.  I know Philips
and Volvo as two of these.

Dilip

Jonathan Swaby wrote:

Does anyone know of a cheap way to construct an air flow sensor? I was
looking for an article in EDN  on using a self-heated transistor to measure
airflow, but  Ican't find it.

I was also wanting to know if there is a way to create a humidity sensor,
or does anyone know of a low cost part?

I am wanting to connect these to a miniboard.

Thanks