 Robotics / Handy Board / 3980
Re: HB Memory...
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics.handyboard
Date:
Wed, 17 Jun 1998 04:30:06 GMT

When pcode is downloaded to the Handy Board, how much memory space
does it take up?
I am a little concerned about having enough memory space for my programs.
As I see it now, I think I may max out the 32KB.
Does anyone have tips on how to concerve space. The only thing I can
think of is to edit out some functions from lib_hb.c that I am not
using, and also not loading the r22 IR files which I'm not using either.

Brian,
The RAM memory space is divided into two big parts very roughly like this:
   0x8000 - about 0xBE00 or so   = your "user" program
                                   (the C program sent by I-C)
   0xBFxx - 0xBFFF               = interrupt vector table (immovable!)
   0xC000 - 0xFEFF               = PCODE.S19 pcode engine & its work areas
   0xFFF0 - 0xFFFF               = CPU stack space

You will always have a bit under 16 kB (0x8000 - 0xBF??) for your user
programs, that is:
- your own C files
- the Library C files
- any ICB assembler files you use.
When IC sends your files to the Handyboard, it displays the memory location
of the various component files of your project.  You can guage how full you
are: the closer you get to 0xBE00 or so (on the I-C display), the fuller
you are getting!

You have to save space in the 8000-bf00 area.  Curtailing library functions
is wise.

But using a different version of I-C, along with its fresh compilation of
the PCODE interpreter engine, could conceivably affect the use of memory in
the upper region (c000-FF00) very slightly, but that is of no use to you in
squeezing in more of your own project files (8000-bf00).

The facts are, that the HB just has a certain memory allowance for your
programs, and you have to be as efficient within that space as you can!

Regards
Brian Lavery  <blavery@computer.org>