 Robotics / Handy Board / 394
  ni-cads in parallel

Does anyone know anything about connecting Ni-Cad packs in parallel to get more current? I'm trying to connect two 6V packs in parallel for driving my motors and sonar, and I also need to make a 4.8 tap to drive a servo. I'm not sure how Ni-Cads in (...) (28 years ago, 6-May-96, to lugnet.robotics.handyboard)

  Re: ni-cads in parallel

(...) This is generally not a problem. If you get a 7.2v strip of C-cells from a hobby store (this is a 5 cell battery) they can deliver about 150 amps for a short while. You are correct that charging NiCds in parallel has issues. I guess the (...) (28 years ago, 6-May-96, to lugnet.robotics.handyboard)

  Re: ni-cads in parallel

Don't do this. First off, you won't get more current, nicads already can deliver gobs of current, enough to be dangerous. You want more amp-hours, not more instantaneous amperage. Secondly you will have problems with cells charging each other. I (...) (28 years ago, 6-May-96, to lugnet.robotics.handyboard)

  Re: ni-cads in parallel

(...) Yes. My problem is that my motors draw somewhere around 2 amps average, and the AA pack I have is rated at 600mAh. This isn't much fun, I'm tempted to leave the thing plugged in instead of charging it every few minutes! It's really not tooo (...) (28 years ago, 7-May-96, to lugnet.robotics.handyboard)

  ni-cads in parallel

(...) We've had a debate on this issue a couple of times on the rec.models.rc.air newsgroup a couple times recently (check out www.dejanews.com) and the consensus seemed to be that parallel packs should not be a problem. (...) You should definitely (...) (28 years ago, 7-May-96, to lugnet.robotics.handyboard)