 Robotics / Handy Board / 399
Re: ni-cads in parallel
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics.handyboard
Date:
Tue, 7 May 1996 04:55:05 GMT

Don't do this.  First off, you won't get more current, nicads already
can deliver gobs of current, enough to be dangerous.  You want more
amp-hours, not more instantaneous amperage.
Yes.  My problem is that my motors draw somewhere around 2 amps
average, and the AA pack I have is rated at 600mAh.  This isn't much fun, I'm
tempted  to leave the thing plugged in instead of charging it every few
minutes!  It's really not tooo bad, but irritating nonetheless.  However,
I'm going to be adding the Polaroid sonar module, which will probably chop a
good slice off of that battery life, and I'm sticking on a servo as well.

Use separate power supplies to run your servo and your HB.  The HB
will run on as little as 6.2v (got to overcome the 1.2v characteristic
drop of the 7805 regulator).  You could probably get away with 6v.

Right now, I'm letting the HB use its internal 9.6V pack, and I
intend on leaving it that way.  It seems to be perfectly comfortable with
it, and I'd really rather not risk shorting it out like last time.  <cough
cough>

There's another issue, though.  If I were to, say, use a sub C
ni-cad pack for more mAh, that'd be great.  However, I'd need to take a 4.8V
tap off of it for the servo.  Does this create the same sort of problem as
putting cells in parallel?  Obviously, certain groups of cells could end up
less charged than others.  Is this another potential problem?  I suppose I
could use _another_ battery pack for _just_ the servo, and then charge that
one separately from the motor pack.  Wow, this is getting complicated...